An opportunity to receive a FREE instrument, FREE specialist tuition, FREE music resources via the HAMPSHIRE COUNTY YOUTH BAND Endangered Species Sche (October 05, 2015)
An opportunity to receive a FREE instrument, FREE specialist tuition, FREE music resources
HAMPSHIRE COUNTY YOUTH BAND
Endangered Species Scheme
Would you like to play a Tuba, Euphonium or Trombone completely free of charge? For ten years or so the Hampshire County Youth Band (one of the UK’s leading youth bands) have made this a possibility via our Endangered Species Scheme. It is a fact of life that some instruments are more popular than others, perhaps for reasons of cost, accessibility, portability, opportunity etc. However, without a balance of instrumentation, bands, orchestras and ensembles cannot exist to good musical effect. The three Hampshire County Youth Bands (Youth, Training and Junior) enjoy reputations for musical excellence which in turn leads to a broad spectrum of musical opportunities for our members. From November 2015 we are offering the opportunity for students to learn to play Tuba, Euphonium & Trombone. Initially we will run a small series of taster sessions at which we will give interested students the opportunity to try out the different instruments. These sessions will then evolve into an hour-long tuition and ensemble session on a weekly basis.
If you are interested please note the following details:
- This project is aimed primarily at children of Junior School age (KS2)
- Sessions will take place at Perins Community School, New Alresford, Nr Winchester (the rehearsal base of the Hampshire County Youth Bands)
- Sessions will run from 10am (minimum duration 1 hour) on term-time Saturdays (starting 7 November 2015)
- Tuition will be provided by HCYB staff
- This is a ‘fast track’ opportunity. Experience has shown us that after five terms of tuition, students can achieve a playing standard of around grade 3; entry level for membership of the Hampshire County Junior Band
- There are no costs, but we hold the expectation that students will commit to a programme of home-based practice, attend our sessions weekly, and, once ready will take up membership of the Hampshire County Junior Band.
Please notify Emma Davis (HCYB administrative support) at Hampshire Music Service ([email protected]) if you wish to register your interest for this opportunity. If you require any further information please feel free to contact me via Emma Davis; I will then get back to you. You may wish to take a look at the Hampshire County Youth Band website (www.hcyb.org.uk) to get a feel of what we are about.
Jock McKenzie – Director Hampshire County Youth Bands
Hampshire Music Service
Tel: 023 8065 2037
Fax: 023 8061 8241
Click here to return to the News page